This week is the 40 year anniversary of the WWE Intercontinental Title. The actual birthday of the IC Title is September 1, 1979. To celebrate, WWE has put out a lot of content about the title. I just saw this video on their Youtube channel, so I figured I would recap it.
It’s the Intercontinental Title by the numbers as narrated by Scott Stanford.
* Pat Patterson “won a tournament” in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil to become the first IC Champion. There was not an actual tournament, so WWE has joked about it for 40 years.
* 82 different superstars have held the IC Title over the last 40 years.
* The record for most days as IC Champion belongs to the Honky Tonk Man, who held the title for 454 days. That started in 1987 and is still the record to this day.
* 30 superstars that have held the Intercontinental Title have gone on to become WWE Hall of Famers including Randy Savage, Ultimate Warrior, Bret Hart, Steve Austin and Eddie Guerrero.
* There have been 11 IC title changes in Canada.
* The American state that has had the most IC Title changes is New York with 23 while Texas has 16, California has 15 and Florida has 11.
* The first overseas IC Title change was at SummerSlam 1992 when Davey Boy Smith beat Bret Hart in England. The other IC Title changes overseas were Jeff Hardy, Santino Marella and William Regal.
* A list of men that have held the title the most:
– Chris Jericho with 9
– The Miz with 8
– Dolph Ziggler, Jeff Jarrett and Rob Van Dam with 6.
* Most combined days as IC Champion:
– Pedro Morales with 619 days.
– The Miz with 599 days.
That was the end of the video. You can watch it below.
Here’s a WWE.com list of other content about the IC Title that they are releasing this week.
Sunday, Sept. 1
WWE Playback with Shawn Michaels, Jeff Jarrett & Road Dogg
Join WWE Hall of Famers Shawn Michaels, Jeff Jarrett and Road Dogg as they relive Double J’s Intercontinental Championship defense against The Heartbreak Kid at WWE In Your House 2, a bout that kick-started Michaels’ third reign with the coveted title and signaled the end of the partnership between Jarrett and his then-Roadie.
20 matches that define the Intercontinental Title marathon event on WWE Network
Former Intercontinental Champion Zack Ryder hosts a look back at 20 matches that define what the Intercontinental Title stands for, and the title bouts feature such memorable champions as Seth Rollins, The Rock and Randy Orton. The marathon begins streaming exclusively on WWE Network at 1 p.m. ET.
Monday, Sept. 2
WWE Top 10: Emotional Intercontinental Title victories
From Ricky Steamboat’s landmark victory over “Macho Man” Randy Savage at WrestleMania III to Zack Ryder’s dream-come-true Show of Shows win 29 years later, capturing the Intercontinental Championship has a habit of bringing emotions to the surface for any Superstar. WWE Top 10 ranks the most heart-wrenching wins in the title’s history.
Tuesday, Sept. 3
The Intercontinental Championship: By the Numbers
Go inside the unique history of the Intercontinental Title like never before with this video highlighting the stats that make this championship one of the most sought-after prizes in sports-entertainment.
Wednesday, Sept. 4
WWE Pop Question: Intercontinental Title edition
WWE Pop Question asks the Superstars of today who they feel is the greatest Intercontinental Champion of all time … and some of their answers will surprise you.
The 8 most underrated Intercontinental Champions
Which bearers of the Intercontinental Title never got their rightful place in the spotlight? Which workhorses rarely come up in discussions about the greatest Intercontinental Champions of all time? WWE.com gives eight unsung Intercontinental Champions the recognition they deserve.
Thursday, Sept. 5
Intercontinental Championship 40th anniversary roundtable with Randy Orton, Christian and The Miz
Cathy Kelley sits down with The Viper, Captain Charisma and The A-Lister to recap their own personal history with the Intercontinental Championship, their most memorable rivalries and matches involving the coveted prize and the title’s place in the annals of sports-entertainment. The roundtable begins streaming on WWE’s official Facebook, Twitter and YouTube channels at noon ET.
Friday, Sept. 6
20 matches that define the Intercontinental Title marathon event digital replay
If you missed WWE Network’s marathon of the 20 matches that defined the Intercontinental Title, catch the replay on WWE’s digital and social media platforms. The stream begins on WWE’s official Facebook, Twitter and YouTube channels at noon ET.
Saturday, Sept. 7
Editors’ Choice: 10 Superstars who will be Intercontinental Champion
Intercontinental Championship 40th Anniversary Week concludes with a look ahead to the future, as the WWE.com editorial staff predicts which competitors from WWE, NXT, NXT UK and 205 Live are destined to join the legendary Superstars to hold the prestigious title.