Following this week’s edition of WWE Raw, Smackdown Live and 205 Live, the next stop for the stars on WWE’s main roster is WrestleMania this Sunday at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey on April 7th. Most of the WWE superstars are already in the New York/New Jersey area, there’s WrestleMania Axxess starting tomorrow and many of the superstars are making appearances in the area as well.
As for the WrestleMania lineup, right now there are 15 matches with the possibility for two more.
There was one more match that became official last night during Smackdown. Following an eight-man tag team match, Alexa Bliss (as the host of WrestleMania) announced that there will be a Smackdown Tag Team Title match with The Usos defending their titles against Sheamus & Cesaro (The Bar), Rusev & Shinsuke Nakamura and Aleister Black & Ricochet. The storyline explanation was that it was punishment for The Usos refusing to wrestle the New Day guys in the Gauntlet Match last week.
Another announced match could be in jeopardy because Rey Mysterio suffered an ankle injury during his match with Baron Corbin on Raw. Mysterio was off Smackdown this week and it’s not known if he’ll be cleared to compete at WrestleMania on Sunday. It’s a legit injury, but it might not be that serious. It’s possible that he’ll be cleared by Sunday. If not, WWE may choose to offer up a different opponent for US Champion Samoa Joe.
As for the Kickoff Show, the Cruiserweight Championship match will take its usual spot as part of the two-hour WrestleMania Kickoff. Along with that, it’s expected that both the Andre the Giant Men’s Battle Royal and the Women’s WrestleMania Battle Royal will be on the Kickoff Show.
* Raw and Smackdown Women’s Championship (Winner Takes All): Ronda Rousey (c) vs. Charlotte Flair vs. Becky Lynch
* Universal Championship: Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Seth Rollins
* WWE Championship: Daniel Bryan (c) vs. Kofi Kingston
* No Holds Barred Match: Triple H vs. Batista (Triple H Must Retire if He Loses)
* Randy Orton vs. AJ Styles
* Roman Reigns vs. Drew McIntyre
* Falls Count Anywhere Match: Shane McMahon vs. The Miz
* United States Championship: Samoa Joe (c) vs. Rey Mysterio
* Kurt Angle vs. Baron Corbin (Angle’s Retirement Match)
* Intercontinental Championship: Bobby Lashley (c) vs. “Demon” Finn Balor
* Smackdown Tag Team Championships: The Usos (c) vs. The Bar (Sheamus and Cesaro) vs. Aleister Black and Ricochet vs. Rusev and Shinsuke Nakamura
* Women’s Tag Team Championships: Sasha Banks and Bayley (c) vs. Tamina and Nia Jax vs. Natalya and Beth Phoenix vs. (The IIconics) Peyton Royce and Billie Kay
* Andre the Giant Men’s Battle Royal (Kickoff Show)
* Women’s Battle Royal (Kickoff Show)
* Cruiserweight Championship: Buddy Murphy (c) vs. Tony Nese (Kickoff Show)
I mentioned the possibility of two more matches. As you can see above, the team of Zack Ryder and Curt Hawkins asked The Revival for a Raw Tag Team Title shot. This was an angle that was teased months ago, then Ryder and Hawkins haven’t been on TV for several weeks and all of a sudden, this angle is back. According to the Wrestling Observer Newsletter this week, the match is scheduled to be on the WrestleMania card.
There is also expected to be some match involving John Cena, according to the Wrestling Observer. Cena is already in the New York area with WWE. My guess is some impromptu match after interrupting the Elias concert, but I don’t know that for sure. There’s no word on what Cena’s match will be.
If you add up the 15 announced matches, plus the two rumored matches that’s 17 matches in all and three of them will be on the Kickoff Show.
We will have an in-depth WrestleMania preview posted hopefully by Friday morning. I also plan on writing a live WrestleMania review on Sunday night.