There has been a change to one of the big matches promoted for the AEW Double or Nothing debut show that is set to take place this Saturday, May 25. The “Hangman” Adam Page match against PAC (formerly Neville in WWE) is now off because they did it at a Wrestle Gate Pro live event in England last night.
Here’s an explanation on the situation from the Wrestling Observer’s Dave Meltzer: “The official word from AEW is that there were creative differences regarding the match and PAC won’t be on Saturday’s show. With PAC’s regular matches in the U.K., it’s known that because he takes his status as world champion with Dragon Gate seriously, he has not agreed to any losses since winning the Open the Dream Gate title.”
Instead of doing the match this Saturday, they did it at Wrestle Gate Pro in Nottingham, England. PAC called out somebody for an open challenge, Page answered it as a surprise and they had a great match ending in a DQ. Apparently, the match will be shown by AEW on Youtube possibly on Tuesday.
Here are more details from Meltzer’s Wrestling Observer Radio show last night:
* AEW didn’t want to cancel the match because it was advertised for months. They did the match in England and it will be released because they know fans were looking forward to it.
* AEW didn’t want to do a disqualification finish because they want wins and losses to matter. They didn’t want to do a DQ finish at Double or Nothing either.
* They didn’t want to do a time limit draw for two reasons. There could be time issues with the other matches on the show and they don’t want fans at Double or Nothing to boo a finish if there is a draw finish.
* There is a better match planned for Page at Double or Nothing, according to what Meltzer was told. He did not mention who Page’s opponent will be.
* PAC may not be back in AEW until he loses the championship he has with Dragon Gate.
* It is expected that AEW will do a storyline about this all week long.
As of now, AEW has yet to officially announcing anything although Cody Rhodes did tweet this.
Hangman is the damn best 🐴
— Cody (@CodyRhodes) May 18, 2019
I assume that’s because he is happy that Page flew to England to do the match. It is good to see Page do that for the company.
Here’s the lineup for AEW Double or Nothing this Saturday, May 25.
Kenny Omega vs. Chris Jericho
Cody vs. Dustin Rhodes
AAA World Tag Team Championship: The Young Bucks (Matt Jackson and Nick Jackson) (c) vs. The Lucha Bros (Penta El Zero M and Fenix)
Adam Page vs. ???
SoCal Uncensored (Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian, and Scorpio Sky) vs. Strong Hearts (Cima, T-Hawk, and El Lindaman)
Britt Baker vs. Nyla Rose vs. Kylie Rae
Aja Kong, Yuka Sakazaki, and Emi Sakura vs. Hikaru Shida, Riho, and Ryo Mizunami
Best Friends (Chuck Taylor and Trent Beretta) vs. Angélico and Jack Evan
21-man Casino Battle Royale for an AEW World Championship match (Pre-Show)
Kip Sabian vs. Sammy Guevara (Pre-Show)
I am looking forward to it and I will review it.
TJR Thoughts: It’s an interesting route taken by AEW here because they could have done an injury angle or something else to try to explain it. I’m not going to come out and say that PAC is being selfish because it’s up to Dragon Gate. They don’t want to put their title on a guy that is going to Double or Nothing to put Page over. That leads me to think, why not just have Dragon Gate take the title off PAC, then put it back on him at a later date? It wouldn’t be a big deal.
If Jon Moxley (former Dean Ambrose) is there then putting him against Page would be a good idea and would certainly make fans happy after not getting the advertised Page vs. PAC match.
Is it a bad sign that there is a creative issue one week before the show? Yes, but the lineup should be good and if Page is facing a good opponent then I don’t think people would be too upset about the PAC match being off.